Thursday, December 31, 2015

Electrically Speaking

The electricians have successfully acquired their permits and are hard at work on the upstairs unit. I am so excited to see things going back IN the house. I've done a little electrical work before but never with the armored cables. Our house looks like a Borg assimilation and I like it. 




Our house never fails to amuse us with crappy hack jobs from the past. Today I found cardboard, regular brown corrugated cardboard, used as lathe under the lumpy patch job in the bedroom ceiling. The ceiling fan was removed to reveal a support system of, well, CARDBOARD! Congrats Jenky Previous DIYers, this one makes my top 5 list.



Not as craptastic but equally as tragic are all the old gas light lines left poking out of the crushed ceiling medallions around the house. Yes, our house is old enough to have had gas lights. It's pretty cool in my humble opinion. Even the basement has old relics of gas lights left behind. At the time our house was built, it had to have been pretty chock full of modern conveniences for a middle/working class home. I'm getting a better picture of what made these row homes so special, and why they were protected and added to the National Historic Register.



At the rate that the electricians are working, I expect that the electrical rough for the upstairs unit will be complete by mid next week. I also heard through the grape vine that we can expect heat mid next week as well. Although I am a bit more skeptical about that as I have to watch the HVAC contractors like a hawk, and for every day they have worked this week, I've had to ask them to go back and fix one thing that was done either in haste or due to laziness. Never you fear, photos are soon to follow.

In the meantime, have a safe and happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment