Sunday, October 15, 2017

Closing Up!

We have a kitchen sink that isn't used as tool storage anymore! I never thought I would be so happy to have running water outside of the bathroom. I tell you, never having to wash our multi cooker pot in the tiny bathroom sink ever again feels a bit like I just lost my virginity. I'm not kidding, not even a little bit. I waited so long for something that I knew would be totally awesome, and it was still way cooler than I expected. Plus, I can do it any time I want. I wash those dishes in the dark, with the lights on, when I get home from work, at 4 in the morning when I can't sleep.  I'm an adult damn it, I will wash those dishes any time I please.  I will sometimes just stand at the sink and turn it on and off just for the sheer thrill of it. Not to mention all the dishes my husband washes! Don't judge. 

This does mean we passed the plumbing inspection. We have worker bees buzzing around the house closing up walls and repairing plaster. I was going to go upstairs and take photos to post of their progress, but the house it truly a pit. Drywall dust and plaster everywhere. It brings the strongest of men to their knees. 

I have a punch list a mile long, and getting longer with every task I decide I am capable of doing. I installed two bedroom closets upstairs in the rental last week. Christopher helped with the second one which of course went twice as fast. I only have 6 more to go! Gulp. 


I have determined that I do a pretty decent job installing trim. I hand nailed the trim around our kitchen window. Sure, it looks pretty and I didn't even need to use caulk, but 5 minutes after finishing and assessing my handy work, I ordered a nail gun and air compressor. Bring on ALL of the trim! I've got my short list of baseboard that I'll put in today before work. Ba-bam! Ba-bam!




I also took it upon myself to go grab some sound proofing and fire retardant to insulate the new wall between the stairs leading to the 2nd floor apartment, and our 1st floor hallway. I love this stuff too. It was super easy to cut and install. I could easily do it alone and it stays in the wall cavities without having to pin it or rush to cover it with sheet rock. There is a weirdo part of me that looks forward to putting this in our basement.


Here's betting that next week we have even more updates to share. I expect I can paint our apartment mid next week and bring some semblance of normality back into our lives.


4 comments:

  1. We are closing on a row house on Madison. Your blog is great I am hoping you maybe have a few min to help answer some questions. My email is waxman626@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! What sort of questions do you have?

      Delete
    2. the most significant question would have to be if you found any of the walls, especially the party walls (the walls that run the length of the home ) were/are load bearing. We are think of taking the entire parlor and 2nd floor for ourselves and would like to reconfigure. I have had mixed opinions given on if 20' spans are allowable with support.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure what your configuration is. For our property all walls running from front of the house to back of the house were/are load bearing. With the one widinig of opening we created between kitchen and livingroom, we had to reinforce the header and opted not to open it completely as it would have been more expensive to run a new beam up in the ceiling. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete